Welcome to The Bump House





Monday, February 7, 2011

Desire

Word of the Day for Monday, February 7, 2011

desideratum \dih-sid-uh-RAY-tum; -RAH-\, noun;
plural desiderata:
Something desired or considered necessary.
No one in Berkeley -- at least, no one I consorted with -- thought art was for sissies, or that a pensionable job was the highest desideratum.
-- John Banville, "Just a dream some of us had", Irish Times, August 24, 1998
Immense wealth, and its lavish expenditure, fill the great house with all that can please the eye, or tempt the taste. Here, appetite, not food, is the great desideratum.
-- Frederick Douglass, My Bondage, My Freedom
A technical dictionary . . . is one of the desiderata in anatomy.
-- Alexander Monro, Essay on Comparative Anatomy
Desideratum is from Latin desideratum, "a thing desired," from desiderare, "to desire."

Something with which I believe we can all identify.

Happy Writing,

Patti

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to be chanting that all day now ;p

    The Arrival, only .99c on Amazon
    www.damselinadirtydress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit it, I'd not heard that word before... I need to widen my circles, obviously ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't seem myself using that word regularly, although I do try to insert 'persiflage' when I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you for your comments. I love reading all of them.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete