Welcome to The Bump House





Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thinkin' Thursday - A Question of Character

picture courtesy of IMBD
This week has been about building characters. We are observant of the human condition; we imagine the lives of perfect strangers. Literature is chop-suey stocked with fully formed individuals that we have an emotional investment in. Recent releases have worked to explain the lives behind the curtain of the novels in which these characters appear - Rhett Butler's People for one.

I have always loved Mr. Darcy - the brood. I have read & seen more renditions of this character. And I love them all. He is a wonderful representation of the time period & class to which he belongs. As to a past event, I would go to a gold digging, no title girl along the lines of Vanity Fair who tricked someone close to him or maybe he himself. Who knows? But, it's certainly fun to think about. 


Who are some of your favorite characters? Why? And, what one thing do you envision in their past that resonates in their present?

Happy Writing,

Patti

4 comments:

  1. I love Joe Gargery in Great Expecations. I'm a huge Dickens fan anyway, and Joe just captured my heart. A simple, but intrinsically good man, saddled with a shite situation and an even shite-ier wife, he still was good and kind, with a wisdom and deep understanding of life that trumped book learning.
    I also love Professor Snape in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. I love his layered, complex motivations, I love that he's flawed but still manages to be a hero in some ways. I just love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine,
    I love both of these examples. It is interesting how characters behave & what deeply makes them tick that keeps us reaching for more.
    Thank you,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll go for a variety of characters -- who are complex enough to embody contradictions to their "good" or "bad" guy status.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay,
    I like it, I really like it. I do loves me some contradiction. And, interestingly, that's just what I 'twere readin' about just yesterday.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete