Welcome to The Bump House





Wednesday, February 9, 2011

AKA - The Writing Muse

Word of the Day for Wednesday, February 9, 2011

doppelganger \DOP-uhl-gang-uhr\, noun:
1. A ghostly double or counterpart of a living person.
2. Alter ego; double.
To readers of science fiction, the idea of a single atom existing simultaneously in two states or places is reminiscent of the supernatural "doppelganger" -- a flesh-and-blood duplicate of one's self encountered while walking along a street.
-- "Physicists Put Atom in Two Places at Once", New York Times, May 28, 1996
But my primary interest here is not the machinations of science itself but the fascinating life and times of its dark doppelganger, the mad scientist, in all his overreaching glory.
-- David J. Skal, Screams of Reason
Doppelganger is from the German doppel, "double" + Gänger, "goer."

That fickle muse & his/her ghostly encounters. Ah, the writer's life. We're not alone, we have spectral friends & they ain't named Casper!!

Happy Writing,

Patti

5 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of naming my muse. Or finding my muse. I don't even know if it's male or female but I plan to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy hunting Karen!! I'm more of the what is it. As I have a sneaky suspicion that imp/elf might be the case. Thanks for the comment.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely way to look at the muses.
    I like Karen's idea of finding out more about hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of doppelgangers. Potentially running into one's skeevier self gives me a pleasant case of the creeps. It's also fun to say, lol.

    Becca @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Al, I like Karen's idea too.

    Becca - so many possibilities, so many angles. And you're right; how many times do the words pleasant & creeps go together??

    Thanks for the comments.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete