Welcome to The Bump House





Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Procrastination Station

I received a phone call this morning, hence the lateness for this post, from a wonderful friend who wanted to catch up. This of course turned out to be great as I had been thinking of calling her for days. We rehashed the last few weeks of our lives and then the dreaded question came up, "So, how's the writing going?"

"Well," I said. "We've been soooo busy. You know, the move, the new house, back to school." I had a litany of excuses. And then I said, "I have been doing lots of research. Trips to the library, local bookstores, and I started a new blog."

While it all sounded reasonable in my head, I had to pause & examine what was really going on. The truth of the matter is that I have been avoiding self-editing as much as one avoids a visit to the dentist. Besides, my teeth are fine.

So, I sat down afterwards & came to a decision; not monumental of course, but a decision none-the-less! As writers we are masters of self-imposition. And I have given myself a deadline. No More Excuses. As the summer comes to a close & my life reaches a happy medium of schedule-like stability, I cannot avoid it any longer. "Editing, you are my friend & I will treat you with the respect you deserve."

I don't have to love it, but I do have to do it. Part of the journey is improving & editing is a special, heart sucking part of the process. So, off to the editing chair I go!

As a writer, how do you deal with the procrastination station & at what point do you decide it's time to board the train once more?

Happy Writing,

Patti Struble

No comments:

Post a Comment